Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When 2 Worlds Collide

It was a typical Sunday morning or so I thought...

I was a flight attendant for American Airlines and on the Sunday's when I was in town I would meet my boyfriend of almost 3 years at church. I was hoping for some change in our relationship, after all I was 26 and still single(pretty scary for the girl who thought she would get married right out of High School).

We had a special guest speaker, his name was John Spurling. As John made his way to the pulpit I heard a small voice say to me... "You are going to marry that man".. I smiled and said, yes I know, very gently the voice said, not the man you are sitting next to, the one on the platform. I am sure that I must of chuckled out loud.. me, seriously, a Pastor's wife,remember who you are talking to, that was the last title I had ever thought would be attached to me. It's not that I was a bad person, but come on Pastor's wives are special,they are always happy, they know how to play the piano and give deep bible studies and they can quote scripture, their children are perfect , and GOD talks to them!

We were complete opposites, I am loud he is quiet, I am high maintenance he is low maintenance, I have some college he has a doctorate and the list goes on...

Since this is a blog and not a book, I will cut to the chase...

A few months after that John and I did get married and started our journey, and what I journey it has been! Some of it good and some of it not so good! (we will chat more about that later)

I have been a pastor's wife for almost 19 years and I can tell you I am not happy all the time, I do not quote scripture as a second language, my children are just like yours,some of my deepest bible studies consist of chats with my girlfriends about how good God is, and sometimes God speaks louder to you than me!.

I had no idea on that Sunday morning, when our worlds came together something would be set in motion that would take me on a jourey beyond my wildest dreams!

Could I suggest that you throw caution into the wind and listen to the voice that will only make sense when we put off all expectations and stereotypes. I pray that you will allow God to surprise you with the unexpected!

2 comments:

  1. YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! I'm SO happy for you and your blog! Yipee!! You're a great writer- don't let John edit this either ;) We can be blog buddies! http://ldo621.blogspot.com And Jennifer's blog (which is also SUPER great) is http://adventuresofarealblonde.com. Keep those posts coming, you're inspiring me to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about this blog, Penny! After the young womans retreat this past november- I heard a story in you heart that made me want to hear more!! And here you have a blog now :-)

    www.marypoppinswasntperfect.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete